Historic Lindbergh site completed

With the help and support of the community, Pride, Inc. has restored a major part of Godfrey's history.

A small building, once used by Charles Lindbergh on his mail deliveries between St. Louis and Chicago, has been restored and moved to a site at Godfrey Village Hall.

The structure was built by Lindbergh in the mid 1920's. He stored supplies and often napped inside when bad weather grounded his flights. Many local residents recall visiting with Lindbergh at the small airstrip where the building was originally located.

Pride, Inc. sold commemorative bricks, stones and benches to finance the restoration costs.

A dedication ceremony was held in October 2001. Although most of the project is complete, there will be additional landscaping at the site. There are also plans for a kiosk displaying photographs and historical information.




 

Copyright: Pride Inc. 2014